Rothmann House (JVDS House and Cottage)
Click to view map
This house was built by Johannes Christoffel Rothmann, blacksmith, in 1834. The initials on the gable, JVDS. have caused much confusion, especially as a certain J van der Spuy was living in Swellendam at the time. However, no connection between him and the house can be traced. Lance Tomlinson got the information that the letters stand for 'Jaar Van De Slaven' from Douw Gerbrandt Steyn of the farm Voorhuis aan die Breede Rivier, who was born c1855. JC Rothmann died in 1873, so DG Steyn was likely to have heard the information first-hand. The interpretation is supported by the inscription (now obliterated) 'Vry Gekoght' [Freedom bought] in the semicircular cap of the west side gable.
The house is T-shaped, with holbol end-gables. The front-gable, similar to that of Kliprivier, has the characteristics of the so-called 'Swellendam Gable' - distinctly mannered and 'eared', its profile following the lines of the decorative moulded plaster swag, above which is a necked central section with entablature surmounted by a moulded semi-circular gable cap. The front windows and door are contemporary with the house, the four full sashes small-paned but without fixed transoms. [Fransen 2004:462 (extended): SHA, 2018: 70 (Entry 97).]
These notes were last edited on 2021 09 23
Writings about this entry