Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk
Johannes Egbertus VIXSEBOXSE: Project Architect
Click to view map
In 1910 the Council of the Dutch Reformed Church of Calitzdorp invited designs for the erection of the present D.R. Church. The Church Council received 26 designs. Among the plans were a model and plans by SIMPSON & BRIDGMAN of Oudtshoorn (1910 - 1982). The final choice lay between the design plans of Mr. Wynand LOUW of Paarl and Mr. Watson HALL of Oudtshoorn. The plans of Mr. Watson Hall were selected by 18 to 10 votes. This choice unfortunately caused great dissatisfaction amongst the members of the Church. At a second meeting the plans of Mr. Louw in the Neo Renaissance-Byzantine style were accepted and Mr. J.P. Strydom of Calitzdorp appointed as contractor. Mr. J.E. Vixseboxse of Oudtshoorn was then appointed Architect in Charge by Mr. Louw. The Church building was inaugurated on the 26th April 1912.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry