Customs House - Fleming Building
INGGS AND ABLETT: Contractor 1864
JONES and McWILLIAMS: Architect 1922
Click to view map
The building is extant and is located on the corner of Fleming Street and North Union Street, adjacent to the Reserve Bank.
The building originally consisted of two storeys with the main entrance located in the central bay facing Fleming Street. It was constructed by Inggs & Ablett on land which belonged to be the prominent Port Elizabeth personality, William Fleming. In continued to be used as the Customs House until 1891 when the new Customs House was constructed at the entrance to the Harbour. At this time the coat of arms, located over the entrance, was removed and relocated on the new building.
Writings about this entry