please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
St Jude's Anglican ChurchSophia Wharton Myddleton (Sophy) GRAY: Architect
Oudtshoorn, Western Cape
George WALLIS: Architect
|Date:||1860-1863 : 1880 : 1887 : 1897||Type:||Anglican Church|
Click to view map
33°35'15.31" S 22°12'11.40" E Alt: 329m
Martin 2005:64 attributes the original designs for the church to GRAY and says the plans were probably sent to Rev H Hirsch. In 1860 the foundation stone was laid and building commenced. In 1861 at a meeting it was decided to continue with GRAY's design with a few alterations. Due to lack of funds the church was only completed in 1863 and consecrated by Bishop Gray on 23 September. A porch and chancel were added in 1880 and the organ chamber and bell tower in 1887. A vestry and front bay of the nave were added in 1897 by WALLIS. Radford 1979:188, attributes the design to WALLIS instead of its usually being ascribed to GRAY. It would appear from a comment made by Bishop Gray when he visited Oudtshoorn in 1865 that the church had been built 'not by plans furnished by me' that it is fairly certain that WALLIS had modified GRAY's plans after 1860 which gave rise to the Bishop's comment. (Martin 2005:65)
Wording on the Historical Monument Council plaque:
St Jude's Church
This church, largely the work of the architect
George Wallis, was built in 1897. It incorporates
parts of the original church erected from 1860
to 1863 to an adapted design of Sophia Gray, wife
of the first bishop of Cape Town.
National Monuments Council
Hierdie kerk is in 1897 opgerig en is hoofsaaklik
die werk van die argitek George Wallis. Dit
sluit gedeeltes van die oorspronklike kerkie
in wat van 1860 tot 1863 gebou is volgens
'n gewysigde ontwerp van Sophia Gray, eggenote
van die eerste biskop van Kaapstad.
Raad vir Nasionale Gedenkwaardighede
The Victoria Memorial Hall was built in 1905.
Writings about this entry
|Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 507|
|Gutsche, Thelma. 1970. The Bishop's Lady. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 206|
|Langham-Carter, RR. 1979. Nineteenth century architects etc. in the Western Cape. Cape Town: Unpublished MS, UCT Library. pg 23|
|Martin, Desmond. 2005. The Bishop's churches. Cape Town: Struik. pg 64-65|
|Menache, Philippe & David, Darryl Earl. 2012. A Platteland Pilgrimage : 102 country churches of South Africa
. South Africa: Booktown Richmond Press. pg 111|
|Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838 1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 136|
|Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pg 127|