ERECTED in 1933, this building provides the most modern and up-to-date accommodation for an undertaker's business. It comprises a funeral parlour, reception rooms, offices and workshops; a show-window and garage.
The exterior executed in the modern manner is of a quiet and dignified treatment which is appropriate for its purpose, but it is in the funeral parlour where the best work has been executed.
Its walls and ceiling are finished in silver, the walls curving to the ceiling. A central concealed light throws a beautiful shadowed effect. The black bier with silver fitments stands on a thick black carpet, and heavy grey velvet curtains veil the inner chapel from the ante-room. In the ante-room the floor is covered with white rubber, and walls and doors are finished grey with grey rep seats and velvet curtains. The whole piece of work is exquisite in its austerity and dignity.
Writings about this entry