Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Klipkerk
Heidelberg, Gauteng

Harry George VEALE: Architect
AC BRISLIN: Architect

Date:1890-1891
Type:Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk - Church
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
26°29'56.51" S 28°21'21.14" E Alt: 1547m

Won in competition

The Dutch Reformed congregation was founded in 1865. The church building is widely known as the Klipkerk after its beautiful sandstone construction. The corner stone was laid in 1890 and inaugurated on 13 March 1891. The Klipkerk has survived many mishaps, such as when the tower collapsed in 1909 and a fire in 1967 that caused serious damage to the inside. In 1954 the interior was refurbished. The exterior has recently been renovated [c1988]. (Heidelberg Tourist Guide)

Transcription of National Monuments Council Plaque:

DIE HOEKSTEEN VAN HIERDIE KERKGEBOU IS OP 12 APRIL 1890
GELÊ DEUR KMDT-GENL. P. J. JOUBERT. VAN 1894 TO 1926
IS DIE ARGIEF VAN DIE NED. HERV. OF GEREF. KERK VAN
TRANSVAAL IN DIE KLUIS LANGS DIE KONSISTORIE VAN DIE
KERK GEHUISVES. ONDER LEIERSKAP VAN DS. A. J. LOUW
HET DIE VOLKSKOOL OP 24 JULIE 1903 IN DIE KELDERSAAL
VAN DIE KERK OP CHRISTELIKE NASIONALE GRONDSLAG
MET 26 WEESKINDERS UIT DIE TWEEDE VRYHEIDSOORLOG
(1899-1902) ONTSTAAN.
RAAD VIR NASIONALE GEDENKWAARDIGHEDE
_______________

THE FOUNDATION STONE OF THIS CHURCH WAS LAID ON 12TH APRIL
1890 BY COMDT-GEN. P. J. JOUBERT. FROM 1894 TO 1926
THE ARCHIVES OF THE DUTCH REFORMED CHURCH WAS HOUSED
IN THE STRONGROOM ADJOINING THE CONSISTORY OF THE
CHURCH. UNDER THE LEADERSHIP OF THE REV. A. J. LOUW
THE VOLKSKOOL ORIGINATED ON CHRISTIAN NATIONAL PRINCIPLES
ON 24TH JULY 1903 IN THE BASEMENT HALL OF THE CHURCH
WITH 26 CHILDREN ORPHANED DURING THE ANGLO-BOER WAR
(1899-1902)
NATIONAL MONUMENTS COMMISSION
1970

Transcription of Blue Plaque:

HEIDELBERG HERITAGE ASSOCIATION

KLIPKERK

The congregation was established in
1865. The first church building, known as
the "Kruiskerk", was constructed on the current
parking area. The cornerstone of the current
building was laid by Commandant General
PJ Joubert on 12 April 1890. The "Kruiskerk"
was demolished after the completion of the
new church. The first minister of the congregation
was Ds NJ van Warmelo. The cellar of the church
was used as a school for the orphans of the
Second Anglo Boer War. The tower of the
church collapsed in 1909 after heavy
rains. The building was declared a
National Monument in 1969.


Writings about this entry

Bosman, AEP. 1965. Aan God alleen die eer : 'n geskiedenis van die Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Gemeente, Heidelberg, Transvaal, 1865-1965. Pretoria: Craft Pers. pg All
Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg 128
Hoevers, Jan. 2005. Van Kerke en Dorpe. Historiese vertellinge oor die oudste kerke en dorpe in Suid-Afrika. Centurion: Publiself Uitgewers. pg 45
Hoevers, Jan. 2012. Geskiedkundige kerke : 'n Gids tot 50 tradisionele kerke. Pretoria: Kontak-uitgewers. pg 57-58
Kesting, DP. 1978. Afrikaans Protestantse kerkbou : erfenis en uitdaging. Port Elizabeth: Unpublished PhD. pg 775, 792
Le Roux, SW & Fisher, RC. 1988. Heidelberg Transvaal Bewaringsverslag. Pretoria: Departement Argitektuur. pg 16
Maeder, GA & Zinn, C. 1917. Ons kerk album van Hollandsche kerken en leeraren. Capetown: Cape Times. pg 215-217
Menache, Philippe & David, Darryl Earl. 2010. 101 Country Churches of South Africa. South Africa: Booktown Richmond Press. pg 38, 39
Menache, Philippe & Wolff, Helmut . 2021. die NG Kerk, ons erfenis : 'n fotoversameling van die argitektoniese skatte van 139 NG kerke in SA. Not identified: Not identified. pg 42-43