Click to view map
The house was originally constructed, as a single storey building, in 1815 by a Mr Knoble, the government surveyor. It is believed to have been the second building of any significance to be built in the town after the Drostdy. It was sold in the 1880's to John Frederick Dolley, who, in 1903 extended the building, adding a second storey and balconies as well as the two Cape Dutch gables which record both the original date and that of the extension. It was declared a National Monument in 1981 and is now a Provincial Heritage Site. The building remains in much the same condition today (2019) but is now used as commercial premises.
Writings about this entry