Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Central Hotel
Simonstown, Western Cape

John PARKER: Architect

Date:1900
Type:Hotel
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
34°11'36.14" S 18°25'54.07" E Alt: 22m

(PSB:92)

Dating back to 1828, the Central Hotel Guest House forms part of Simon's Town historical mile incorporating many years of memories in its ancient walls.

Built by George Huskinson, it was here that Vincent and Grout's omnibuses and post-carts collected and delivered the Royal Mail to the local postmaster.

In 1894 the building was bought by Ohlsson's Cape Breweries, from the estate of George Bowern.

It was converted into the Central Hotel and formed part of the breweries' overall drive to own as many hotels as possible in order to promote beer sales.

The hotel thrived until well after World War 2.

In 1987 the building was purchased by the Coetzee family and was owned and managed by Malinda Coetzee until Peter Weng, Yunfang Chen and Aaron Lin became new owners in early 2015.

(Source: Central Hotel Guest House, submitted by Annelise Lange.

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 164
Walker, Michael. 2010. Simon's Town : An historical review with early postcard illustrations. Cape Town: Michael Walker. pg 52 ill., 53