Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Girls' School - Komani Museum
Komani (Queenstown), Eastern Cape

John PARKER: Architect

Date:1899
Type:School
Status:Adaptive re-use

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
31°53'40.20" S 26°52'24.87" E Alt: 1076m

(PSB:65), 1901

This small museum, established in 1933 by the Rev CK Hodges, shared accommodation with the public library for the first thirty years of its existence. In 1963 it was transferred to the renovated old public school, a substantial stone building dating from 1897 and typical of Queenstown [Komani] architecture of the period. The museum was originally an historical museum, but developed as a small general museum. The historical section illustrates the development of Queenstown as a frontier town as well as that of the surrounding districts.

In 1975 the museum received a generous grant from Dr S Batchelor, a member of an old Queenstown [Komani] family, which enabled the museum to purchase the remainder of the old school building which had hitherto housed the municipal art collection. The museum had plans for several new displays in this section.

(Fransen 1978:84-85)

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Fransen, Hans. 1978. Guide to the Museums of Southern Africa. Cape Town: Galvin & Sales (Pty) Ltd, for the Southern African Museums Association. pg 84-85