Click to view map
In 1901 Parker designed a revised internal layout for this Ohlssons Cape Breweries hotel. He added a balcony on the first floor, a new teak stairway, and a new second floor with six bedrooms, amongst other upgrades. The hotel closed in 1962, whereafter the building was referred to as Johannesburg House. (Extracted from Walker 2015: 69.)
Rennie referred to the building as Scott House when he inspected it in 1977. The building no longer carries a visible name, but the heraldic lion rampant symbolising Ohlssons’ Lion Lager beers still features large on the front façade.
It currently (2023) houses a coffee shop, spa and barber shop on the ground floor, and a restaurant on the first floor.
Submitted by Lila Komnick.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry