Click to view map
26°09'41.05" S 28°07'36.18" E
(CLSA Jun 1915:15, 16)
The house and extensive grounds are the home of St Andrew's School for Girls.
[William MARTINSON, December, 2010]
Wording on heritage plaque
JOHANNESBURG CULTURAL LEGACY
Bedford Court, designed by renowned architect
Sir Herbert Baker, was home to Randlord and
mining magnate Sir George Farrar and his family
from 1903 until his untimely death in
South West Africa in 1915.
Miss Jean Fletcher purchased Bedford Court and
108 morgen of land in 1920 to house
St Andrew's School for Girls.
Parktown & Westcliff Heritage Trust
For more information on George Farrar visit Wikipedia. For his grave, see George Farrar's Grave.
These notes were last edited on 2020 01 29
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
|Greig, Doreen. 1970. Herbert Baker in South Africa. Cape Town: PURNELL. pg 25, 64, 121, 131, 132 ill, 134, 138|