Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

St Philip's Church
District Six, Cape Town, Western Cape

BAKER and MASEY: Architect

Date:1898
Type:Anglican Church
Status:Extant
Street:128 Chapel Street

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
33°55'45.63" S 18°26'16.85" E Alt: 21m

This is the first church to be designed by Baker with Francis Masey as partner.

It would appear that this church replaced the St Philip's Church designed by GM ALEXANDER in 1885. Fencing to the design of Baker and Masey was added in 1900 (Pryce-Lewis list 5 295).


Writings about this entry

Greig, Doreen. 1970. Herbert Baker in South Africa. Cape Town: PURNELL. pg 85-86, 87 ill, 88
Johnson, Brian Andrew. 1979. An art historical study of the architecture of the Southern Cape Peninsula, 1880-1913 : houses and small business premises. : Unpublished Thesis UNISA. pg 360
Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838-1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 110, 200