Factory Goldberg & Zeffertt
Click to view map
(SAB May 1927:67)
The factory manufactured Mineral Water.
The foundation stone of the present building reads:
The company relocated here from Boksburg in 1899 after it secured "the right to take water from a well" which water was used to wash their bottles before re-using. The early mineral water bottles were provided with a marble to maintain the pressure of the aerated drink within.
The company was provided with a formal 'Letter of Appointment' signed by Lt Col W. Lambton, the Military Secretary, dated Johannesburg 7th November 1902, which read:
The 'Letter of Appointment' hung inside the building up to 1990, but its present whereabouts is unknown.
Between the Chains. Journal of the Johannesburg Historical Society, 1990
Paine, H.; Martinson, W.; Bruwer, C .& J. New Doornfontein Heritage Survey for the Greater Ellis Park Development, December 2003.
The photograph at the top and the advertisement were kindly sent to us by Penny Zeffertt.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.