Click to view map
(Arch Rev Oct 1944:118)
South African Architectural Record, August 1946
This building comprises a block of luxury flats set in the generous northern suburb of Killarney on the outskirts of metropolitan Johannesburg, and is in what has become a centre of luxury flats in this city.
The building has been planned as an " L " along the two sides of the site to obtain the desired north and east orientation for all flats and to make the most of the open space available on the site. As a result of this approach all flats are planned in relation to the north and east aspects and the lifts, stairs, and access corridors are relegated to the south and west sides. A large private parking garage covers the whole site in the semi-basement, the roof of which carries the garden in front of the flats. Servants' quarters are located on the roof, and a squash court is an added amenity.
The five floors of flats containing 25 flats, display a variety in planning and types, including as they do flats ranging from single- to four-room types. It is noteworthy that each of the larger flats has separate shower and W.C. compartments in addition to the other generous provisions.
Access to the flats is by open corridors from the enclosed lift and stair halls. The kitchens are fit-ted out with cupboards, dressers, electric stoves, refrigerators and work tables, all with stainless steel sinks.
The internal finishes generally include painted plaster walls in off-white and pale green with white ceilings. The floors to flats are in parquet, with linoleum in kitchens and rubber in the bathrooms. The entrance hall is panelled m marble with a mosaic floor. This panelling extends up the staircase, and the floors of the corridors are finished In non-skid tiles. The external finish generally ii oil paint on plaster. The greater part of the wall surface* is white. The east wall on the street boundary is painted pale " Eau-de-Nile " with pale blue on the balconies. The continuous parapets on the north elevation are picked out in buff painted plaster finished in a square tile pattern.
The squash court walls are painted pale green in differentiation from the ochre which is used on the remaining surfaces of the servants' quarters.
Railings are in sky blue and the wire mesh balustrading is white, while the steel panels of the balconies on the north wing are coloured maroon.
The building has a freshness and sparkle which well suits the sunny climate.
(South African Architectural Record, August 1946. pg 195-196)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry