Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Museum : Drostdy : NG Pastorie
Somerset East, Eastern Cape

Date:c1820
Type:Parsonage
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
32°42'45.51" S 25°35'05.97" E

This was the second house built on the government farm. From 1825 to 1829 it became the Drostdy and then was transferred to the Wesleyan Church. From 1834 to 1944 it belonged to the Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk and was used as the pastorie (parsonage). It was then sold to a private person and is now the museum.

Transcription of the National Monuments Council bronze plaque mounted on the facade.

OU PASTORIE DIE VOORSTE GEDEELTE VAN DIE GRONDVERDIEPING VAN HIERDIE
GEBOU IS AS WESLEYAANSE METODISTE-KAPEL OPGERIG EN IS
OP 25 MEI 1828 INGEWY. IN 1833 IS DIT DEUR DIE NED. GEREF.
KERK VERKRY EN IN 'N PASTORIE OMGESKEP DEUR DIE
TOEVOEGING VAN 'N TWEEDE VERDIEPING EN TWEE VLEUELS.
VAN 1835 AF TOT 1940 IS DIT AGTEREENVOLGENS DEUR DOMINEES
GEORGE MORGAN, JOHN PEARS, JAN HENDRIK HOFMEYR EN JOHN
MURRAY HOFMEYR BEWOON. DAARNA HET DIT IN PRIVATE BESIT
GEKOM. IN 1972 IS DIT DEUR MNR. K. S. BIRCH EN DIE PROVINSIALE
ADMINISTRASIE VIR MUSEUM-DOELEINDES BESKIKBAAR GESTEL.
Raad vir Nasionale Gedenkwaardighede
OLD PARSONAGE
THE FRONT PART OF THE GROUND FLOOR OF THIS BUILDING WAS
ERECTED AS A WESLEYAN - METHODIST CHAPEL WHICH WAS DEDICATED
ON 25 MAY 1828. IT WAS ACQUIRED BY THE DUTCH REFORMED CHURCH
IN 1833 AND CONVERTED INTO A PARSONAGE WITH TWO FLOORS AND
ADDED WINGS. IT WAS OCCUPIED SUCCESSIVELY FROM 1835 BY THE
MINISTERS GEORGE MORGAN, JOHN PEARS, JAN HENDRIK HOFMEYR
AND JOHN MURRAY HOFMEYR UNTIL 1940 WHEN IT BECAME PRIVATE
PROPERTY. IN 1972 MR. K. S. BIRCH AND THE PROVINCIAL ADMINISTRATION
MADE THE PROPERTY AVAILABLE FOR MUSEUM PURPOSES.
National Monuments Council
1975

Submitted by William MARTINSON

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Lewcock, Ronald. 1963. Early Nineteenth Century Architecture in South Africa : a study of the interaction of two cultures, 1795-1837. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 46, 73, 100-101, 223, 226-227, 231, 409-410
Richardson, Deidré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pg 42