This structure is all that remains of the Methodist Chapel which was the first building erected for Christian worship in Grahamstown. William Shaw was chiefly responsible for its erection. It was dedicated on 10 November 1822 and served the Wesleyan Methodist congregation until Wesley Chapel was erected in 1832. Until 1830 it was also the Church of England place of worship and the Garrison Chapel. (SAHRIS website accessed 2019 10 16)
Proclaimed as a National Monument on 17 March 1989, it is now a Provincial Heritage Resource.
It was sold to the Government for in 1912 for £2,000 and the proceeds were used to build the Methodist Church in Market Street.
Writings about this entry