St Saviour's Cathedral
Arthur FYFE: Architect
St Saviour's Cathedral, Pietermaritzburg, was founded in 1868, by James Green, the Dean at the time of the local Anglican community. Architect unidentified.
The first part of the building consisted of a simple nave with side aisles. It had a brosely tiled roof, brick walls and a timber floor, with simple windows in the aisles and in clerestory dormers. The building relied upon its 'Gothic' timber roof structure to create its ecclesiastical feeling. It was remarkable for the simplicity of its construction and the speed at which it was erected. Access was through a yellow-wood lynch gate.
In 1876, the Cathedral was extended. A new entrance and two transepts were built on the Commercial Road end of the building. Architect unidentified.
Five years later, a chapter room and library were added along the north-west side. This necessitated the removal of several windows from the aisles, which were used in the new rooms. In 1898, a new sanctuary, two more transepts and St Michael's Chapel were added to complete the Cathedral's cruciform shape. Architect Arthur FYFE.
It was later decided to build a new Cathedral for Natal's Anglican community and St Saviour's Cathedral was deconsecrated in 1976, making the building material available for suitable re-use elsewhere.
The materials from the cathedral were used in the construction of St Saviour's Church in Midrand.
(Midrand Presbyterian Church website accessed 29 May 2015)
Writings about this entry