Fancourt House - Now Hotel
Click to view map
(S v d Stel Bull 23 Apr 1971:60-61)
The Manor House was built for Henry Fancourt White. The works started in 1859 but were delayed in 1860 due to financial setbacks. It was originally known as Blanco House. After his death in 1866 ownership is unclear but in 1903 the house was acquired by his son Ernest Montagu White, who named in Fancourt House in memory of his father. Rather sadly, the house became best known for the tragic dinner party hosted there by Ernest. He and all of the guests were found dead, having been poisoned by wild mushrooms, which had been served at the dinner. Following the event the house fell into disrepair, until it was it was finally restored in the 1960's and opened to the public.
In 1989 the estate was sold again and developed into a large luxury Hotel and Golf course. The original house is incorporated into the Hotel.
The House was declared a National Monument in 1992 and is now a Provincial Heritage Site.
(Gerald Humphrey, March 2019)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.