Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

House L Phillips - Hohenheim
Parktown, Johannesburg, Gauteng

William LECK: Architect
Frank EMLEY: Architect

Status:Demolished 1972

This was the first of the mansions built in the new suburb of Parktown by a Randlord, Lionel Phillips. It was taken over by Percy FitzPatrick, author of the book Jock of the Bushveld. In 1916 the house was presented to the Johannesburg Academic Hospital as the Otto Beit Convalescent Home. It was one of the last mansions to be demolished in 1972 to make way for the new 2000 bed hospital with its attendant medical school and nurses' homes.

Frank EMLEY claims the design of the house in his FRIBA nom papers in 1904. Chipkin (1993:34) and van der Waal (1987:92) credit William LECK with the design.

(FRIBA nom papers 1904; S v d Stel Bul Jun 1975)

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.

Writings about this entry

Barry, Margaret & Law, Nimmo. 1985. Magnates and Mansions - Johannesburg 1886-1914. Johannesburg: Lowry Publishers. pg 109-112
Benjamin, Arnold. 1979. Lost Johannesburg. Johannesburg: Macmillan South Africa (Publishers) (Pty) Ltd. pg 8-9
Chipkin, Clive M. 1993. Johannesburg Style - Architecture & Society 1880s - 1960s. Cape Town: David Phillip. pg 9, 34 ill
Gutsche, Thelma. 1966. No Ordinary Woman: The life and times of Florence Phillips. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pg Various - see book index
Shorten, John R; Johannesburg City Council. 1970. The Johannesburg saga. Johannesburg: John R Shorten. pg 126, 278
van der Waal, Gerhard-Mark. 1987. From Mining Camp to Metropolis - The buildings of Johannesburg 1886-1940. Pretoria: Human Sciences Research Council. pg 92 ill