Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Victoria Cottage Hospital
Arcadia, Tshwane (Pretoria), Gauteng

John ELLIS: Architect

Date:1904
Type:Hospital
Status:Demolished
Street:Cor Johannes Ramokhoase (Proes) and Hamilton Streets

Also referred to as Queen Victoria Cottage Hospital.

(Foundation stone at Pretoria General Hospital)

In the Mayor's Minute issued by the Municipality of Pretoria for 1905, one of the social features which had presented itself and which had merited inclusion in the Minute, was the laying of the foundation stone of the Victoria Cottage Hospital. A transcription of the text is provided below:

LAYING OF FOUNDATION STONE, VICTORIA COTTAGE HOSPITAL

One of the ceremonies performed by Earl Roberts during his stay in Pretoria was the laying of the Foundation Stone of the Victoria Cottage Hospital, at the corner of Proes and Hamilton Streets, Arcadia. This was attended by a large gathering. Subscriptions received after the performance of the ceremony, together with the balance in hand, amounted to a total of more than £5,000.

The laying of the Foundation Stone of this Hospital was the commencement of the carrying out of a scheme which had been first mooted in 1897, the year of the Diamond Jubilee of her late Majesty, Queen Victoria, which had as its object the commemoration of Her Majesty's reign.

After the late war a Committee was formed, named the "Fallen Soldiers Memorial Committee," and this was amalgamated with the Committee of the Victoria Cottage Hospital. The scheme for building the Hospital was taken up with great enthusiasm by the inhabitants of Pretoria, and was supported on all sides. The ground on which the Hospital stands is a free gift, whilst the Architect of the building, Mr. John Ellis, gave his services gratis in furtherance of the noble scheme.

Large subscriptions were raised to enable the Hospital to be built free of debt. It is now nearing completion, and it is hoped that it will be opened at no distant date.

These gifts in aid of the Hospital were in the month of October increased by the generous donation of 500 guineas from the Premier Mine, and a like amount from Mr. Cullinan.

Ref: Minute of his Worship the Mayor (Andrew Johnson) for the Mayoral Year ending 25th October 1905, Municipality of Pretoria. Wallachs, Pretoria, 1905:Pages 11 & 12.

[William MARTINSON, November 2010]

Proes St was renamed Johannes Ramokhoase St in 2012.


Writings about this entry

Municipality of Pretoria. 1905. Minute of His Worship the Mayor for the Mayoral Year Ending Oct. 25, 1905. Pretoria: Wallachs. pg 11, 12