Pretoria High School for Girls, swimming bath
Click to view map
(SAB Mar 1938:64)
"Pretoria High School for Girls is an all-girls public school situated on the edge of Hatfield-West and sits as one of Pretoria’s top academic schools. The school was founded in 1902 by Lord Milner, but only occupied its current Hatfield location since 1915.
After a few years of settling, the school decided in expanding the outdoor sport and recreation reputation of the school, and certain sport courts and the swimming bath was constructed. Girls High’s swimming bath was first drafted in 1937 by Norman Musgrave Eaton, and built in 1938. The design included an auditorium, a terrace structure, a pergola, a thatched dressing room and the pool itself.
Visiting the site in the 21st century it is expected that a few renovations have taken shape over the years, such as a new engineered steel pergola assembled over the stone seating and some added concrete seating. Still standing from Eaton’s original design is the pool in its initial form, the thatched adjacent dressing room, some stonework, and paving. In the masonry of the entrance walls, original seating, and gabion structures, Eaton’s meticulous attention to detail can be observed. His thoughtful placemaking is also evident in the spatial quality of the site. This swimming bath as well as other structures on the PHSG’s school grounds are classified as heritage sites and initiative has been taken in adding a plaque in acknowledgment of the contribution of the designers and builders to the heritage of Girls High and Pretoria." – Ilanke Wiltz, July 2021
These notes were last edited on 2021 07 10
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.