Click to view map
The congregation was established in 1922. From 1935 the congregants held service in the local Free Masons' Hall. In 1940 the portion of land on which the church stands was purchased but the issuing of a building permit was stalled in by the WW2. A building was erected which did service until 1950
The architect DYKSTRA of Pretoria was approached for a new replacement church and adapted the plans of the Gereformeerde church at Makhado (Louis Trichardt) for use. The foundation stone was laid on 1950 04 15. The windows are described as being of the 'Mondrian style'. In 1952 Laukhuff pipe organ was installed which is still in current (2010) use. The old church does service (2010) as a hall for candidates for confirmation.
(Harris et al 2010 69; Kesting 1978:825). See also Wikipedia (Afrikaans).
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry