![]() Contact Artefacts | MenuHomeUpfront Now Up Books Towns Structures People Firms Lexicon | St John the Divine - Belgravia | ![]() | ||||||
| |||||||||
Click to view large map Coordinates: | (FRIBA nom papers 1905) During the last quarter we were delighted to show off the internal and external restoration of St John the Divine high Anglican Church, which dates back to 1904, when the English architect, G A H Dickson, brought English parish church design of the late 19th century to Johannesburg. The church is a beautiful example of arts and crafts design (the marble baptismal font is a treasure) mixed with toutches of Gothic revival. Led by Flo Bird and William Gaul, the church has been the major restoration project of the Johannesburg Heritage Foundation during the past year; it’s a church with glorious stained glass windows. This was the church where Sir Julius Jeppe and the Thrupp family worshiped. Excerpt from the JHF newsletter - October 2019 Source: The Heritage Portal. See also the church hall. All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon. |
|