|Date:||1895 : 1928||Type:||Hotel|
|Street:||c/o Long Street and Castle Street|
Click to view map
(SAAE&S Jnl Sep 1907:212; SAB Dec 1928:47)
2019: Now The Grand Daddy Hotel.
In the original plans by DE WITT it was named the Hamburg Hotel.
Alterations were made by MG DAMSTRA in 1928.
Alterations to the 1895 Hamburg Hotel, by Anthony de DE WITT. Remodelling of facade, including windows, balconies and new giant order pilasters to articulate the four storeyed building, removal of cast iron veranda and replacement with new veranda carried by twinned Doric columns. (Nicholas CLARKE)
Major additions proposed by W BLACK in 1902 for A Caisse Properties not executed (Pryce-Lewis list item 6 471)
These notes were last edited on 2022 05 19
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry
|Bakker, Karel A, Clarke, Nicholas J & Fisher, Roger C. 2014. Eclectic ZA Wilhelmiens : A shared Dutch built heritage in South Africa. Pretoria: Visual Books. pg 55|
|Martin, Desmond. 2007. Walking Long Street. Cape Town: Struik. pg 28 ill., 29|
|Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838 1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 114|
|Rennie, John for CPIA. 1978. The Buildings of Central Cape Town 1978. Volume Two : Catalogue. Cape Town: Cape Provincial Institute of Architects. pg 82 item 49.48|
|Transvaal Publishing Co. 1906. Men of the Times : Old Colonists of the Cape Colony and Orange River Colony. Johannesburg, Cape Town and London: The Transvaal Publishing Co. pg 434|
|Walker, Michael. 2012. Early architects of Cape Town and their buildings (1820 - 1926) with postcard illustrations, The. St James: Michael Walker. pg 51|