Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Coetzenburg, refurbishment
Stellenbosch, Western Cape

Anthony (Antonie) Mauritz DE WITT: Architect
Gabriël Theron (Gawie) FAGAN: Restoration architect

Date:c1833 : 1893/1903


Click to view map

33°56'19.06" S 18°52'21.10" E

This is the refurbishment of an old Cape Dutch style farmhouse by De WITT. The Wilhelminian style had become very popular and the verandah was an important decoration to a house.

The farm was granted to Dirk Coetse in 1693 who had probably been living there from 1681. Paul Hertog owned the farm from 1747 to 1789. In 1833 the property went to PJ Marais. There is a simple H-shaped homestead shown on Coetse’s grant, but most of the present house is probably c1833.

In 1961 the farm was acquired by the University of Stellenbosch for sports grounds and the homestead is the sports office of the University.

The house was restored by Gawie FAGAN and the elaborate verandah designed by DE WITT, which had been removed, was replaced.

Writings about this entry

Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 194
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pg 134 ill, 135, 167
Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pg 64
Richardson, Deirdré. 2001. Historic Sites of South Africa. Cape Town: Struik Publishers. pg 142