Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Glenara
Rosebank, Cape Town, Western Cape

Adolphus William ACKERMANN: Architect

Date:1883
Type:Homestead
Status:Extant
Street:Burg Rd

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
33°57'25.99" S 18°28'09.32" E Alt: 30m

Glenara is the official residence of the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Cape Town. It is situated on UCT's Lower Campus.

Glenara was bought by the university on 15 Dec 1924 for £8500 as an economic measure to avoid the cost of erecting new buildings. This carried the university estate down to the Main Road in Rosebank. Glenara is used as the official residence of the vice-chancellor.

The house stands on land that was part of one of the Cape's oldest farms – Hollandsche Tuin – granted by van Riebeek in 1657. In 1881, part of the land was sold to L A Vincent, a merchant, who chose the name Glenara. The architect responsible for designing the house was A W Ackerman (who designed Cape Town's Central Station), and building cost £6000. In 1898 the property was sold to Stephen Trill before being purchased by UCT.

Source: Origins of Names of Buildings at the University of Cape Town, Mr M Musemwa (Dept. of History UCT, 1993).


Writings about this entry

Fransen, Hans. 2004. The old buildings of the Cape. A survey of extant architecture from before c1910 in the area of Cape Town - Calvinia - Colesberg - Uitenhage. Johannesburg & Cape Town: Jonathan Ball Publishers. pg 104
Johnson, Brian Andrew. 1979. An art historical study of the architecture of the Southern Cape Peninsula, 1880-1913 : houses and small business premises. : Unpublished Thesis UNISA. pg 436