Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

St Philip's Church
District Six, Cape Town, Western Cape

George Murray ALEXANDER: Architect
Date:1885
Type:Anglican Church
Status:Demolished
Street:Chapel St

Amongst the new churches built during this time [1880s], the arrival of the complex plan covered by equally complex roofs was seen. There also developed the fashion for using Table Mountain sandstone. As the material cannot readily take a fine finish, it resulted in the use of simplicity of detail and resultant churches have a certain crudeness about them. Externally the ventilator fleche became a standard feature. St Philips (1885) in District Six by G. Alexander, is a good example of this type of church. (Radford 1979:199)

As this church no longer exists it is safe to assume that it was demolished and replaced by the BAKER and MASEY church built in 1898.


Writings about this entry

Johnson, Brian Andrew. 1987. Domestic architecture at the Cape, 1892-1912 : Herbert Baker, his associates and his contemporaries. Cape Town: Unpublished Thesis UNISA. pg 360
Radford, D. 1979. The architecture of the Western Cape, 1838-1901. A study of the impact of Victorian aesthetics and technology on South African architecture. Johannesburg: Unpublished Ph.D thesis. Dept of Arch. University of the Witwatersrand. pg 110, 199