please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.
South African College - 'Egyptian Building' - now University of Cape Town Michaelis School of ArtJames Constantine ADAMSON: Architect
Gardens, Cape Town, Western Cape
Griffith George LEWIS: Architect
Click to view map
33°55'49.16" S 18°24'50.13" E Alt: 37m
The building was based on the original design by Professor ADAMSON, it was considerably modified and enlarged by Col. GG LEWIS.
This is now part of the Michaelis School of Art, University of Cape Town on the Hiddingh Campus in the Gardens district of Cape Town.
Wording on National Monuments plaque:
THIS BUILDING WAS COMMENCED IN 1839 AND OPENED
ON 13 APRIL 1841. TWO CLASSROOMS WERE ADDED IN 1883.
IT IS THE FIRST BUILDING ERECTED IN SOUTH AFRICA FOR
HIGHER EDUCATION AND IS THE OLDEST BUILDING OF THE
UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN. FORMERLY THE SOUTH AFRICAN
National Monuments Council
HIERDIE GEBOU IS IN 1839 BEGIN EN OP 13 APRIL 1841
GEOPEN. TWEE KLASKAMERS IS IN 1883 AANGEBOU.
DIT IS DIE EERSTE GEBOU WAT IN SUID-AFRIKA VIR DIE
HOËR ONDERWYS OPGERIG IS EN DIE OUDSTE GEBOU
VAN DIE UNIVERSITEIT VAN KAAPSTAD. DIE VROEËRE
Raad vir Nasionale Gedenkwaardighede
Writings about this entry