Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Civil Service Club
Cape Town, Western Cape

John PARKER: Architect 1897

Date:n.d. : 1897-1899
Type:Club
Status:Adaptive re-use
Street:Church Square

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
33°55'30.24" S 18°25'18.72" E Alt: 25m

(SAB Nov 1934:87)

Not sure of the date or architect of the original design. In 1897 additions were done by John PARKER.

The Civil Service Club amalgamated with and moved to the City Club in Queen Victoria Street in 1976. It was then re-named the City and Civil Service Club.

When inspected by Rennie in 1978 the building was standing empty. At some stage thereafter it was turned into offices, which it currently (2022) still is.

These notes were last edited on 2022 05 10

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Parker, Howard. 2015. John Parker, 1866-1921 : architect and mayor of Cape Town. Wellington, New Zealand: Howard Parker. pg 76
Rennie, John for CPIA. 1978. The Buildings of Central Cape Town 1978. Volume Two : Catalogue. Cape Town: Cape Provincial Institute of Architects. pg 218 item 66.17