Town Hall - First
STREET-WILSON and BARR: Architect
The building was destroyed by fire on 12th July, 1898 and replaced by a new Town Hall completed in 1901.
Opened on 15th June, 1893, at a cost of upwards of £42,000, the New Town Hall is in every way worthy of the Metropolis of Natal. The building is of red brick, with stone facings, and the clock is by Gilletts, of Croydon. The jinriksha, of which we see an example in the foreground, has come largely into fashion in Pietermaritzburg, where ladies find it useful for shopping and making calls.
Ref: Photographs of South Africa comprising Representative Views etc.; The South African Photo-Publishing Company, Cape Town, 1894: pg 167.
[Submitted by William MARTINSON, January 2011]
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.