William STREET-WILSON: Architect
The cornerstone was laid on 23 June 1897, but the building was only completed in 1903. The original plans were drawn up by architects STOTT & TOMLINSON, but as the Anglo-Boer War drained resources, only a section of the building was built. To celebrate the Jubilee of Queen Victoria a clock was bought from a church in Pietermaritzburg for the tower, but was later returned. It was subsequently decided to complete the building and W STREET-WILSON was commissioned to redesign it. It was opened in 1904.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry