St Cuthbert's Church
George William SMITH: Architect 1898
OWEN EATON and TAIT: Architect 1932
Click to view map
Prominent British architect Norman SHAW was consulted about a design for a new church in 1882, but unfortunately his design was too costly to execute. On 20 March 1884 a temporary corrugated iron church opened for worship, designed by the then municipal architect William H MILES, with a permanent church in mind. He designed the church in such a way that the walls of the permanent church could be built outside the temporary walls and the permanent chancel added to it... A school room followed in 1890.
Towards the end of 1898 Port Elizabeth architect George William SMITH designed the new chancel (with an organ chamber) of red brick with cement dressing under a slate roof, but once again departed from SHAW's designs. On 15 April 1899 the congregation laid the memorial stone... Because the temporary nave showed many signs of decay the parish, in 1931, employed the architectural firm OWEN EATON & TAIT to design a new nave. This was built in 1932 ... and consecrated on 22 October of that year.
The original building now forms the Chancel of the extended church. Externally this is clearly identifiable as the original west facade forms a parapet in the roof. Internally the ceiling within the old section is different from the newer section. The marking around the rose window in the western end shows evidence that this window was a later addition, replacing 3 Gothic arched windows.
(Gerald Humphrey, November 2016)
(SAB Aug 1932:27; Uitenhage P & P:51)
Writings about this entry