Click to view map
The Art Deco hotel was the second Hotel Edward. It was constructed on the site to the right of the earlier building, which was retained until 1985 when it was sold and demolished for the Holiday Inn Garden Court.
An extra 2 floors were added to the 1937 hotel around 1970, in a similar style to the original. The hotel still operates under the same name but is now more often called simply "The Edward".
(Gerald Humphrey, April 2021)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.