![]() Contact Artefacts | MenuHomeUpfront Now Up Books Towns Structures People Firms Lexicon | Railway Station (South) | ![]() | |
Click to view large map Coordinates: | The South (Port) Shepstone station buildings look remarkably similar to the ones erected at North Shepstone. On 2 September 1907, the extension from the north bank across the combined road and rail bridge over the Umzimkulu River to South Shepstone was opened to traffic. South Shepstone was renamed Port Shepstone and a new halt, ‘South Wharf stopping place’, opened in the lower port yard with sidings and facilities to deal with river-borne traffic. Lime ore and marble blocks were quarried up-stream and ferried on flat-bottomed lighters to the lower port yard. (Source: Soul of A Railway) |