Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

CH Pearne and Co
Central Cape Town, Western Cape

MacGILLIVRAY and GRANT: Architect

Date:1903
Type:Commercial
Status:Extant

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
33°55'27.25" S 18°25'16.43" E Alt: 31m

The Building today (2022) forms a part of "The Adderley". The modern infills to either side of the building were part of the conversion into the residential hotel. (Gerald Humphrey, April 2022)

This was the central section of Gresham Buildings which was divided in three in 1903. The other two portions were Jacot's (later Kottler's Curios) and Cuthbert's (later Fabians). Unlike her neighbours, Caroline H. Pearne enlarged her portion, adding upper floors and a new frontage. There must be few Cape Town city centre commercial buildings that were built by a woman. (Arthur Radburn, August 2023)


Writings about this entry

Rennie, John for CPIA. 1978. The Buildings of Central Cape Town 1978. Volume Two : Catalogue. Cape Town: Cape Provincial Institute of Architects. pg 204 item 65.17