Union Steel Corporation (USCO) - Gasification Plant
Click to view map
The Union Steel Corporation (USCO) was established in 1911 by Mr Wright and Mr Sammy Marks. In 1913 they started production from a 10 ton open hearth furnace in Vereeniging - later acquired by Iscor. In 1918 Mr Marks and Mr Lewis floated the Transvaal Blast Furnace Company in 1917 to build an experimental blast furnace at USCO. In about 1950 they built a gasification plant which converted coal into gas to fire the open hearth ovens. In 1991 Iscor gained full control of the USCO steel works and renamed the facility Iscor Vereeniging Works.
(Information extracted from the South African Iron and Steel Institute, accessed 2022 07 01)
See also the USCO Recreation Club.