Erected by the British Military soon after the South African (Anglo-Boer) War for senior local commander. In 1915 it was convereted into a hospital, requiring considerable change. In 1960 the Commandant-General changed the name to 'Vesting' [Fortress], possibly by association with the blockhouse erected nearby. Since then the house has served both a residence for military personnel and as offices.
Writings about this entry