Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Victorian House Museum
Caledon, Western Cape

Date:Late 1800s
Type:Museum
Status:Extant
Street:11 Constitution

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
34°13'49.96" S 19°25'46.16" E Alt: 252m

The residential house at 11 Constitution Street, was purchased by the museum in 1991 and was restored by the curator Tizzie Mangiagalli to be used as a house museum.

The then director of museums, Mr Brian Wilmot opened the museum on Friday 2 December 1994.[4] The house depicts the late Victorian period 1870-1900. In restoring the house all the inside woodwork, windows, ceilings and doors were wood grained, some of the floors had to be replaced, and the walls of all the rooms except the kitchen, pantry and the exhibition room were wallpapered. The wallpapers were researched typical of that time, samples of wallpapers were found in a house in Mill Street.

From old photographs and plans, research was done on other old buildings of the same era in Caledon. Information in the interior was resourced from the books of the writer Dr Con de Villiers and the descriptions of his family home on the farm Dunghye Park in the Caledon district. The Caledon family of Hoffman and the De Kock family (who lived in the house) were also helpful with information. During restoration an underground stream had to be piped and diverted away from the house. The kitchen, back passage and pantry were restored and a woodstove was installed in the kitchen. Local builders were used in the restoration of the house and Johan Burger of Museum Services at Ruyterwacht restored all the furniture.

(Wikipedia, accessed 2022 01 14)


Writings about this entry

Fransen, Hans. 1978. Guide to the Museums of Southern Africa. Cape Town: Galvin & Sales (Pty) Ltd, for the Southern African Museums Association. pg 16-17