Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Arop House
Johannesburg, Gauteng

KALLENBACH, KENNEDY and FURNER: Architect

Date:1932 : 1935-1936
Client:African and European Investment Co
Type:Offices
Status:Extant
Street:cor Von Brandis and Kerk Sts

 


Click to view map

Coordinates:
26°12'07.15" S 28°02'38.97" E Alt: 1749m

(RAU doc; SAB Jun 1932:41; SAB Jan 1935:51; SAB Apr 1935:xvii; SAB Jan 1936:42)

Built in 1932 the addition of seven floors were done in 1935-1936.

Transcription of Blue Plaque:

JOHANNESBURG CITY HERITAGE

This building with its simple yet elegant steel balustrades on
each balcony, was designed in 1932 by Kallenbach Kennedy & Furner for
African Russian Oil Products. Formed in 1931 for the marketing of petroleum
products from the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics under the brand name
AROP, the petrol, paraffin and lubricating oil were sold at competitive prices
until 1937 when the government fixed the price of petrol, putting an end to the
Soviet's entry into a free market in South Africa. Stylishly curved stepped
concrete brackets support the canopy over the pavement - a hallmark
of Art Deco design.

(Source: The Heritage Portal)

All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.


Writings about this entry

Chipkin, Clive M. 1993. Johannesburg Style - Architecture & Society 1880s - 1960s. Cape Town: David Phillip. pg 76
van der Waal, Gerhard-Mark. 1987. From Mining Camp to Metropolis - The buildings of Johannesburg 1886-1940. Pretoria: Human Sciences Research Council. pg 212