Click to view map
The house was built for William Stanley Playdon in 1938. He was a partner in the well known shoe manufacturing company W Playdon & co which had been established by his father in 1901. The house held a predominate position over looking Brickmakers Kloof and the Baakens Valley.
For a while, in the early part of the 21st century, it was run as a Bed & Breakfast but was sadly very badly damaged by fire in about 2007. It has stood as an empty shell since this time but there are plans for it to be demolished and replaced with a block of flats.
(Gerald Humphrey, May 2021)