Anglican Rectory - Museum
Click to view map
Now Bredasdorp Museum together with the Independent Church, which it adjoins, this house forms a fine complex. It is also the earliest house in the town surviving in its original form. The street front, with its dormer gable, in style belongs to the 1840s (though an early casement has been used as loft-window at the side). The house is U-shaped, the base of the U being at right angles to the street. Most of the floors are of yellowwood, while the ceilings are a curious mixture, some of the beams possibly having been taken from the wrecks with which the nearby coast abounds. The ends are half-hipped. All outer woodwork is original. It has since been established that it stands on one of many erven bought by Petrus Johannes du Toit, and was built by him in 1846/7.
During the short existence of the Independent congregation next door, 1865-84, the house was its property, after which it became the Anglican rectory [of All Saints Anglican Church], which it continued to be until it was restored and turned into a museum together with the church, in 1970.
Writings about this entry