Port Elizabeth Club
Click to view map
The first meeting of the Port Elizabeth Club, St George's Club, took place at the leased "Hillside House", home of J. S. Kirkwood in Bird Street. On 1 June 1866, the house standing in the front of "Hilllside House" and overlooking Trinder Vlei (now Trinder Square) was acquired with the backing of some of the wealthiest residents. (See first three photographs)
In 1904 the present building of the Bird Street Club was erected on ground occupied by stable sheds and the coach house, all directly behind the original Club House which was situated closer to the present front boundary wall. It was completed in 1905.
(Port Elizabeth website; SAB Dec 1924:13 ill; SAAR Jul 1946:185)
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.