Contact Artefacts
please if you have any comments or more information regarding this record.

Culemborg Goods Offices Administration Building
Foreshore, Cape Town, Western Cape

Brian George Lewis MANSERGH: Architect

Date:1952-1955
Client:SAR&H
Type:Offices
Style:Contemporary
Status:Demolished

The building was prominent in a group surrounding a marshaling courtyard for delivery vehicles, creating a facade onto the eastern Front of what was to become the Foreshore development. Because of the nature of the landfill the building stands on concrete piles with a tanked basement to prevent water ingress of the high water table some 5m below ground level. It is a three storeyed concrete frame structure with a central utility tower housing lifts, water tanks and caretaker facilities. The facade is of prefabricated reconstituted cream stone ciment fondu. The layout is symmetrical although making provision for extensions and conforms with the overall planning requirements of the prevailing Foreshore Plan.

The wording on the English foundation stone reads as follows:

This stone was set
by the first
Ambassador Extraordinary
And Plenipotentiary
for the Netherlands
in the
Union of South Africa
His Excellency
J. van den Berg
On which occasion this
goods station was named
CULEMBORG
Cape Town 21st June 1952

These notes were last edited on 2020 09 04