St Dunstan's Anglican Church
Baker, on his return to the Rand from Cape Town on 2 December 1908, received the letter from the Reverent AT Hare stating the need for him to design a new church and rectory for Benoni. Lady Ella Farrar - wife of Sir George Farrar - laid the foundation stone in 1909. By the end of 1909 it was nearing final inspection. In a postcard written barely six months later to the Reverent JJ Baker of Little Hallingbury Rectory, Bishop’s Stortford, England on 11 July 1910 the writer states that ‘They are talking of enlarging it already, extending this [the west] end. They might have built a larger one at first as they know Benoni is bound to go ahead … ‘
The congregation relocated to a new site in Woburn Avenue in the mid 1930’s, following which the church was demolished and replaced by the Art Deco style Savoy Cinema, now occupied by the "Universal Church of the Kingdom of God".
These notes were last edited on 2019 11 19
Writings about this entry