House Messina, The Harbour Masters House - The Moorings
Click to view map
The house was built for William Messina in about 1884. It was official known as 'The Moorings' but was often referred to as 'Harbour Masters House', which refers to the occupation of its former owner. It had been used as a guest house since at least the 1980s and was called 'Casa Mia' but now trades under the name 'Island Vibe (2019). In the 1990s the upper floors were badly damaged by fire but it is unclear to what extent the fine interiors were destroyed. Fortunately however the building was saved. It is widely attributed to the architect George Dix-Peek.
(Harradine, 2010:301; Gerald Humphrey, July 2019)
Writings about this entry