Church of St John the Evangelist
Arthur E LINDSLEY: Design Architect
Click to view map
The Evangelies Gereformeerde Kerk on Woodley Street was originally the Church of St John the Evangelist (pictured) and was opened on 13 September 1905 by the Right Reverend Dr Arthur Chandler, DD, Bishop of Bloemfontein. The nave is 19,6m long and 11,95m wide and the building seats 350 congregants. The builder was C van der Watt and Church and McLauchlin best burnt bricks were used. Electric lighting was supplied by T Reunert. The founding of this congregation was a break-away from St Cyprian's, the latter being considered too 'high church'.
In 1935 the church building was purchased by the Evangeliese Gereformeerde Kerk. (Kimberley City Info accessed 2017 12 05).