Click to view map
THE STANDARD BANK premises (A.B.C. Branch) with frontages to Adderley and St. George's Streets, completed in 1931, comprise Banking Hall, Manager's and Sub-Manager's offices, and Waiting Rooms on Ground Floor, various departments being accommodated on the upper floors, with some offices available for letting, on the St. George's Street frontage. Strong rooms are provided in the basement.
The elevations have been carried out in Renaissance style, the ground and first floors being faced with Paarl granite, the upper portion in cast stone of a cream colour, obtained by using crushed Table Mountain stone. A feature of both elevations is the colonnade of fluted Ionic columns, with enriched entablature and balustrade over. The entrance doors and windows to ground floor are of bronze, the upper windows being of steel.
The Banking Hall has a panelled dado of marble, while the counter and other fittings are in teak, with brass grilles. The rooms for Manager and Sub-Manager are panelled in teak.
These notes were last edited on 2022 05 18
Writings about this entry