Everard WHITE: Supervising Architect
Mattheus Carel August MEISCHKE: Contractor
George Edmond FITZGERALD: Architect Associated Junior Architect
Click to view map
(Afr Archt Mar 1912:193; A&B Apr 1918:285 ill; adds, AB&E Oct 1937:13)
Notes accompanying the First Day Cover (see right)
ADDITIONAL STAMP VALUE TO THE RSA 4th DEFINITIVE SERIES
14c stamp City Hall, Johannesburg
The City Hall of Johannesburg together with the adjoining municipal offices was declared a national monument on 12 October 1979. The cornerstone was laid on 29 November 1910 by the Duke of Connaught and Strathearn and the building, which had been designed by Messrs Hawke and MacKinley, was officially opened on 7 April 1915 by HE the Rt. Hon. Viscount Buxton, Governor-General of the Union of South Africa.
The building was designed in the Edwardian Baroque style and was erected at a cost of £503 000 (R1 006, 000,00).
Two storeys were added in 1937 also by HAWKE & McKINLAY.
Commemorative key [photograph right] issued on the occasion of the official opening of the building in April 1915. This particular key was presented to Norman Anstey (see NA engraved on reverse) to commemorate the award of Freedom of the City in the 1930's.
All truncated references not fully cited below are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Writings about this entry