![]() Contact Artefacts | MenuHomeUpfront Now Up Books Towns Structures People Firms Lexicon | Princess Rupprecht Home | ![]() | ||
| |||||
Click to view large map Coordinates: | This building was erected in 1902 by C SCHMIDT as a hospital and was converted into a convalescent centre by the German Red Cross in 1914. The building was extended in 1905, architect unknown, to make provision for amongst others an operating theatre, quarantine quarters, and a mortuary. The hospital was closed in 1909. In 1910 the Bayerischer Landesverband des Frauenvereins vom Roten Kreuz (Bavarian Women's Association of the Red Cross) took over the convalescence station as well as the grounds. The high roof, gable, and the dormer windows of the main building, which give the building its distinctive character, all date back to this period, architect unknown. The upgraded building was ceremoniously inaugurated on 7 January 1914. It was named Prinzessin Rupprecht Heim ("Princess Rupprecht Home") after the patroness of the Bavarian Women's Association, the deceased wife of Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria. It is still being used as a sanatorium as well as an old age home, but also provides holiday accommodation for families and individuals who appreciate the cool and moist weather at the Namibian coast in the hot summer months. It is also frequented by many overseas tourists who stay there when they visit Swakopmund. The Prinzessin Rupprecht Heim in Swakopmund was proclaimed a national monument on 1 December 1976. (Extracted from Vogt, 2004:156-157) See also National Heritage Council of Namibia. References:
|