PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT of the TRANSVAAL COLONY: Architect
Click to view map
The building is well maintained and in good condition.
It would have been built - like the two bridges over the Hex River - during the reconstruction period after the Anglo-Boer War, say between 1903 and 1905.
The structure sports two gently sweeping Dutch Gables flanking a colonnaded portico under a plain frieze topped by a balustrade parapet. Remarkable is the use of the local black granite in foundations, steps, reveals and arches. Over the years it has been extended considerably. And it still serves officialdom.
(Konrad Voges, July 2016)